This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

XF 50-140 - Question

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by Upponalle, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Upponalle

Upponalle Member

-Return to Top-

I got my 50-140 yesterday and took it for some test shoot today.

I noticed some moving noise inside the lens when it is not attached to the camera. Like something is loose.
    It disappears when the lens is attached to the camera. Everything seems to firm then.

Did some else notice this? Is it normal?

Thanks!

2. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

You're probably hearing the movement of the optical compensating element of the lens' OIS system which has some motional freedom unless it is controlled by linear motors which will tightly control the element's position in active operation.

If the lens is connected to the camera, and if the camera is powered up, you should instead hear a very slight whirring sound from inside the lens - that's the sound of the gyroscopic acceleration sensor which measures.

So, your lens is probably fine.

Tilphot and Upponalle like this.
  3. Upponalle

Upponalle Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks / Danke for the fast reply Arjay.

Yes, there is the whirring noise when the lens is attached.

So everything is fine then, but I thought I better ask as it was not like this with my Nikon 70-200 VR.

4. alansue1

alansue1 Member

-Return to Top-

Canon IS lenses also have this kind of behavior, some models more than others.

So...how is that 50-140mm?

5. X-Mount

X-Mount Martin

-Return to Top-

Its the same with my 10-24 must be normal as the lens seems to work perfectly :)

6. Upponalle

Upponalle Member

-Return to Top-

@alansue1 Coming from Nikon I have noticed that kind of behavior. About the 50-150, tack sharp, fast and super silent AF on the X-T1. Cannot compared to my Nikon 70-200 VR II anymore, but I think it is sharper. I will post some sample shots soon.

@fac123 Now that you mention it I notice it at as well with my 10-24, but with this lens is less obvious.

7. gregfountain

gregfountain Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lenses with stabilization, at least from Canon, need to be on the camera when you shut off the power to the IS system, by turning the camera off while the lens is attached, and that locks the floating IS group into place. I don't know if Fuji is the same, but I thought I would mention it to see if that helps?

Can't wait to see some samples from this lens!

8. Upponalle

Upponalle Member

-Return to Top-

Nikon behaves differently and so does Fuji. Arjay's answer really summarizes it the best, but it was new to me. You never stop learning…

9. auretanjr

auretanjr New Member

-Return to Top-

If there is still movement inside the lens when camera is powered on, would there be something wrong with the lense? Coming from extensive Nikon 70-200 VR use, I find this very disconcerting. Am about to return the which I received less than 24 hours ago.

10. auretanjr

auretanjr New Member

-Return to Top-

There was some anxiety on my part when I posted this in the morning. I decided to test the lens again with the autofocus on and apparent movement in the camera is gone. Thanks to Arjay to help me find what I was looking for. As to the whirring sound, I suspect that is coming from the gyroscope that governs the OIS system. If true, it makes me appreciate the technology in the lens even more apart from my initial tentative observation that it is tack sharp.

11. auretanjr

auretanjr New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Arjay. Your comment checked out.

12. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's what I like about this forum – there's a competent answer to every question! When I heard that clunk on my newly acquired XF50-140 I also thought there was a lose lens element ... and the whirring OIS sound is also kind of extreme, compared to my other OIS lenses ...

13. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There is small movement and some noise from the IS on my 50-140mm. Someday try older gen canon 500/600 f4 IS models and that is what I would call a whirring IS noise.