This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 hot pixels question

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by SimonTheSorcerer, May 18, 2017 at 1:35 AM.

1. SimonTheSorcerer

SimonTheSorcerer New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello everyone,
    there are a few threads already about hot pixels, so forgive me for opening a new one.

In short, I noticed a few hot pixels in my images and wonder if some other X-T2 owners would try and see if it is normal or not. In case of the latter I will send the camera for service.

So I had never noticed something before, but after a photography session in low light I noticed hot pixels in the same position in numerous photographs. Apparently CameraOne Raw doesn't seem to get rid of them automatically. To verify it's not a software error, I looked at the JPEGs and they were there as well, albeit less exaggerated.

I did some test shots with 12800 ISO and I could reproduce them as well. I also shot with the lens cap on with 12800 ISO and I could clearly see more than I expected. If the exposure time is 4-5 seconds they become quite bright.
    The Pixel Mapping function didn't seem to help at all.

Before I send the camera off, I wonder if someone else with X-T2 could try to take a shot with the lens caps on at 12800 ISO and 5 sec and see if this behavior is normal or not.
    I'm attaching a crop of my shot as reference.
    ISO12800_5sec.JPG

I'm also attaching a crop from an actual photo with the hot pixels present. Here the exposure time is a mere 1/58 seconds:
    hot_pixels_closeup.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 1:43 AM
  2. nwcs

nwcs Former Gear Addict

-Return to Top-

Hot pixels are just a fact of life. All sensors develop them from all manufacturers. Most blend into the image or show up only in certain pics. You can remap them usually. I end up ignoring them and only do something if they stand out.

3. SimonTheSorcerer

-Return to Top-

Thanks for replying nwcs. I understand it's normal to develop hot pixels, but my question is if it's normal to have the same density/intensity of them, with the specific camera. It would be interesting to see another photo from an X-T2 user for comparison.

4. 5280Pics

5280Pics Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yep, totally normal. I had a 7D that was terrible at long shutter images. Close to 100 spots to clear up in post!

5. fiddlergene

fiddlergene Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Remap the sensor. That may eliminate them from where they are, but there's no saying they won't show up someplace else.

6. SimonTheSorcerer

-Return to Top-

Thanks everyone for your answers.