This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T1 upgrading problem with firmware 5.10

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Tusedo, May 17, 2017.

1. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Did you format the card in camera first? Then load the file to the root directory, download it again. Are you using an older Mac? If so I understand that they would write to the card a files that the camera does not like. Try from a pc.

Alan

Tusedo likes this.
  2. mikEm13

mikEm13 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I had a problem upgrading my X-T1 a few months ago. I downloaded the file again and tried but it failed. My problem was I didn't clear the old file from my download folder and when the new one came down again it had a "1" at the end of the file telling me it was a second download and I missed seeing that. When I remove the "1" from the file all went well.
    So" if your file looks like this FWUP0005.dat1 then you need to remove the "1" or whatever follows the ".dat". Good luck.
    Edit: I was using a Mac.

Tusedo likes this.
  3. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So, can you humor me, and delete or move all Fuji firmware files from your download folder, delete any firmware files from your SD card, and try a new download, and try again,

Tusedo likes this.
  4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Or just save to Desktop.
    :)
    Copy to SD card from Desktop.

Tusedo and kerrydeare like this.
  5. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,
    I've just updated my X-T1 from ver5.01 to ver5.10 with no issues. So I know that the file I have is good. It's name is FWUP0005.DAT and is exactly 42,599,472 bytes in size on my Windows 10 PC. If it helps I could send this to you as it is known to work on my X-T1. However it is too big for most email services so transfer would need be by Dropbox or something similar. Let me know if you want to try this.
    upload_2017-5-18_20-17-46.png

Tusedo likes this.
  6. Tusedo

Tusedo New Member

-Return to Top-

I tried in both Mac and Windows, I also formatted the sd card in the camera.

7. Tusedo

Tusedo New Member

-Return to Top-

I cleared my folder all before downloading the firmware, then my file is FWUP0005.DAT. Is there any difference between Mac and Win? I am using a Mac too.

8. Tusedo

Tusedo New Member

-Return to Top-

I will try but just a little hope:)

9. Tusedo

Tusedo New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your help. But I think my problem is I upgrade to 5.10 from 3.0 so It may suffer that problem. Then I will try to find the older version like 4.0 or 4.3...

10. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't think that's your problem. Here's the error message page from the Fujifilm UK website
    upload_2017-5-18_20-39-50.png

If the error you are getting is indeed 'This Firmware is not for this model' I'd suggest you have the wrong firmware somehow. As I know the firmware I installed works then trying it would at least rule out that possibility. As far as I am aware you can update Fuji firmware without having to install any intermediate firmware releases. As you've found the Fuji site does not offer any firmware but the latest level and this would bear out my statement that you do not need any previous intermediate firmware release. You should be able to go from ver3.0 to ver5.10 directly. Q7 in ther following page answers this.
    X-T1 Firmware Update FAQ

Tusedo likes this.
  11. Tusedo

Tusedo New Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe I have to ask Fujifilm for sure. I tried so many times and many ways, but It still remains. Anyway, thank you so much.

12. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Can you open up the folder on your computer the downloaded firmware file is in, and with all files in that folder showing, take a screenshot and post that, hoping for a opps moment to pop up. And while you are at it, the same for the SD card. And, ohh, make sure there are no hidden files (although this type of file is normally not hidden). And if this is windows, flush out the recycle folder of any firmware files, in Apple, clean out the delegated folder.

Incidentally, using google to hunt down this issue commonly reveals file storage issues (multiple firmware files in folder on computer) such as at this link : Firmware update problem: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. And : Unable to update XT-1 latest firmware. Why?: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Tusedo likes this.
  13. Tusedo

Tusedo New Member

-Return to Top-

I just followed your instruction, but I failed to make it work:).

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 9.56.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 10.19.46 PM.png

14. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

@Tusedo. Check your forum Inbox ;)

Tusedo likes this.
  15. merosen

merosen Active Member

-Return to Top-

whyis the card named "U"?
    a camera formated card should be "untitled"
    the camera may look for the name of the card before it can look at its contents

16. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just went over and loged on my MACBook, I downlaoaded the file, And I need to ask, why is the "kind" as howon on your screenshoot TextED...doc or something? Mine is simply "document". Not an Apple OS guru.

And yes, my SD card shows up as Untitled.

Tusedo likes this.
  17. merosen

merosen Active Member

-Return to Top-

The file type is in the get info panel. Somehow all .DAT files were set to be opened or associated with the app "TextEdit"
    (the default is Document --- generic)
    But it shouldnt matter because your not opening the document on a Mac The camera is not a Mac device so the camera doesn't see TextEdit.
    (The .DAT file is a binary, If you were to open it in TextEdit, it would all be gibberish)
    The camera is looking for a binary with a .DAT extension. It then opens the binary and loads it into the cameras memory

Tusedo likes this.
  18. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just downloaded and installed v5.10 from v4.30, no problem there. The files size is shown as a different size, but all three different versions that I have on this computer show the same size.

screencap_fuji.png

Tusedo likes this.
  19. mfk

mfk Active Member

-Return to Top-

Upgraded yesterday a second hand X-T1 from SW release 3.0 to 5.1 without encountering a problem.

Tusedo likes this.
  20. sandroamt

sandroamt Active Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, then last option for Tusedo: fuji support!

Tusedo likes this.