This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T1 Speed Question

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by bkasten, Apr 19, 2017.

1. bkasten

bkasten New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

I have had an X-T1 for about a year and a half now. I was previously shooing a Nikon DSLR. I love the camera but have always found it to be "slow". With the Nikon I could snap photos as fast as I could press the button, but with the X-T1 there is a substantial delay between each shot. (Not talking about using continuous mode). I attributed this as a difference between SLR and mirrorless.

Recently I bought the X100F and was amazed how fast I could shoot with this camera. Now I realize it's not a mirrorless thing. Is there a reason for the difference? Could a firmware update fix it? Would the X-T2 or X-Pro2 be any faster?

Thanks for any help!

2. roalk

roalk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've had my X-T1 for more than two years and have never had this problem. Generally it will fire as quick as I can press the shutter.
    One thing worth checking is to go to Shooting Menu 1/Autofocus Settings/Release/Focus Priority and make sure that the Priority Selection Release settings are set to RELEASE and not to FOCUS.

morne.kombrink likes this.
  3. colombiano

colombiano Member

-Return to Top-

Coming from DSLR, I also find that X-T1 is slower to focus, as the OP noticed. That is a "downgrade" with X-T1. However, I'm happy that I have much much more reliable focus system with X-T1 than I had with DSLR, especially shooting at wide apertures with fast lenses.
    I'm not sure if proposed "Release priority" over "Focus priority" is good solution. This might improve quickness at cost of more out-of-focus shots...

4. perob

perob Member

-Return to Top-

I had that same feeling too, coming from DSLR via X-Pro1 and then to X-T1. I found them both a little "slow".
    I guess it was more a feeling, but the EVF seemed slower on updating in poor lightning and it may have caused this feeling of a slower response overall.
    Moving forward to X-T2 and that feeling was long gone, even when shooting in "focus priority" and poor lightning.

I have to add, that this feeling also depends on what lens you are using. Some of the "old" XF-mounts use more time to focus.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

All things being equal, if you choose High Performance (under Power Management) focusing will be faster.
    The down side is that your batteries will get drained faster.

Other AF setting impact focusing speed significantly as well, so be sure you don't have face detection on if you don't need it. My guess is that Single Point AF should be the faster option (compared to Zone, Wide etc) but take it with a grain of salt as I never tested it.

Last, I feel that the X-T1 with the latest firmware updates allows for many different AF settings, maybe too many for users who are not tech friendly. That said, one needs to be sure they are using the settings that best suit their shooting needs, thus allowing optimal AF performance. And that's why I review the X-T1 AF specs and info from time to time.

Here are some good links for reading:
    NEW AF SYSTEM SPECIAL SITE | FUJIFILM
    NEW AF SYSTEM SPECIAL SITE | FUJIFILM
    http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/Fujifilm_X-T1_X-T10_AF_Hand_Book.pdf

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    beakhammer likes this.
  6. Solo with others

Solo with others Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I will second the above. I've been shooting for two years with the XT-1 and added an XT-2 to my bag just last week. The feeling of "speed" is very palpable with the XT-2 in all respects. It seems the next gen processor in the 2 makes most of the difference but the camera also feels more solid and "at the ready". I'm a full time pro shooter and I plan to use the XT-1 for more deliberate shooting (landscapes, architecture, etc.) mostly with the 10-24mm and use the Xt-2 for events and "running and gunning" with the 18-135mm. I also have the grip for the XT-2 for all day shooting. I was using a Canon DSLR with a grip for event jpegs and now I can retire/sell the Canon gear once and for all and begin eyeing the GFX 50 to replace the XT-1 maybe next year when there is a an ultra-wide lens available.

7. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-T2 and XPro2 are quite a bit faster and more responsive than all of the older models.

You can make your X-T1 much faster in some situations if you learn to pre-focus and use manual modes instead of waiting for AF to re-set with every shot.

8. gerlofhoekstra

gerlofhoekstra Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

It is not only due to AF settings. The XT1 has a significant viewfinder blackout time, even in manual focus mode. This adds to the slowish feel. Yes, the X-Pro2/X-T2 are much faster in this respect, to the point that there is no significant difference between a DSLR.

9. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How much of this has to do with a partial-release and press again of the shutter button? On any DSLR, and now on my X Pro 2, I can fire the shutter, not release it all the way, then take another shot with the same focus point (i.e., the camera does not refocus). This is very fast. When I shoot my X100t, this doesn't work -- I have to fully release the shutter to make a new shot, and it re-focuses each time. This leads to significantly slower shot-to-shot times.

10. gerlofhoekstra

gerlofhoekstra Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Good point!! I just tried: if I keep the shutter half pressed I can fire much faster.

11. dtmateojr

dtmateojr Active Member

-Return to Top-

I don't mind really. I'm treating it like a film camera. I'm much slower with my Nikon FM3A SLR

gerlofhoekstra likes this.
  12. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

The X-T1 has a terribly small buffer as well. If you shoot RAW it is very easy to fill the buffer quickly and the camera either slows down or grinds to a halt. Annoying.