This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T1 and i40 flash after V5.0 update

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by G.K.Jnr., Nov 12, 2016.

1. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just wondered if anyone has done the latest update (V5.0) on their X-T1 and tried using an non-updated Nissin i40 flash with it since. If so I wonder does the flash still work just as before applying the X-T1 update, ie TTL flash etc etc.?

I'm a bit reluctant to update my X-T1 as I don't want to lose the full functions of my non-updated i40.

Many thanks in advance if someone is able to clarify this for me.

George.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Also interested.
    I'm not updating my XT1 until I know this answer.

3. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You will lose HSS with fw5.0 and the updated i40 (and likely the non updated i40... mine was updated). My kid was home with the X-T1 today and I updated it to 5.0 and tried it out. Just like the X-Pro2, the i40 in manual and with the HSS kicked on still bands and shuts it self off after a couple shots.

kerrydeare likes this.
  4. jknights

-Return to Top-

Ok so no HSS possible on i40 with XT1.
    So my XT1 will stay at its current firmware level until I get a chance to find a solution that delivers HSS on my X-T2 and XT1. I know with current X-T2 firmware and the latest Cactus v6 Mkii firmware I can get HSS with the SB800. I dont have time to test an updated XT1 with v5 firmware before I go away also I dont want an i40 that is useless. There are a lot of potential scenarios to think through.

5. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

Based on other comments in this thread, I can answer with the following: X-T1 v 5.0 and a non-updated i40 operate per design. TLL works, corrections in camera operate and are transmitted to a shoe-mounted i40, etc. As for HSS, I will not speculate beyond noting that an updated i40 does not appear to work in HSS based on a post above. If I figure out how (and perhaps why) I might benefit from this feature, I will report results here. Strobist I am not.

Aside, an expectation that undocumented features will necessarily be supported while different suppliers juggle specifications seems a bit of a stretch. This is surely the case if these same suppliers are competing in the marketplace.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thank you kindly Sir, very helpful I shall now update my X-T1 to V5.

George.

7. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

I think that's a good move, particularly if you opt for the (expensive) EF-X500 from Fuji. I'm not a heavy flash user but it has utility for me. It seems it will be some time until this issue settles down amongst competing interests.

8. nightswimming

nightswimming New Member

-Return to Top-

Good morning, just updated my x-t1 to FW 5.0 and the x-pro2 to FW 2.01. Did some random shots in a darkroom with the Nissin i40 (not updated) and the 18-135 attached. TTL shooting worked with both cameras, tried some direct and indirect lightning, and all worked as it used to before the last update. Getting TTL functionality back was the most important thing for me. I don't do a lot flash shooting but if I do TTL matters. Not into HSS, though (yet :). Hope that helps. Take care !

kerrydeare likes this.
  9. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Many thanks for that, I'm just about to update my X-T1 as we speak. And will update my X-T2 when the new firmware is available at the end of the month.

George.

10. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Many thanks for all your help Guys, I've just updated my X-T1 to V5 firmware and all still works perfectly as before with my non-updated Nissin i40 flash. TTL, Exposure comp, and Auto flash zoom, all just fine.:) I have not as yet tried HSS.

George.

kerrydeare likes this.
  11. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

Just experimented with (2) X-T1 bodies updated to FW 5.0, and a non-updated i40. The i40 appears to enter HSS mode (as of course it should), but tests with
    both bodies in various configurations and shutter speeds indicate HSS is not available under FW 5.0. I did not try the i40 HSS prior to the latest X-T1 FW updates, so no basis for comparison.

jknights likes this.
  12. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's very interesting Sir, and thank you so much for taking the time to experiment and post your findings.

George.

13. jknights

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the information Kerry.
    That is really helpful for me. I will stay where I am with XT1 firmware as I need HSS. I am currently away and will be using my X-T2 and XT1 with EF-8 and EF-X20.

14. wujetz

wujetz New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

I have the i40 and the X-T1 and can confirm that HSS was working fine on fw 4.31, and is not working anymore on 5.0.

I am not sure which fw I have on the i40 though, but I can confirm that both TTL and HSS were working fine before I updated...

Is there any way to roll back the X-T1 fw back to 4.31? I am not sure whether it is possible and I cannot find the firmware file anywhere to download. Has anyone tried a roll-back, and if it is possible, does anyone have the old 4.31 .DAT file lying around?

Cheers,

Martin

jknights likes this.
  15. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

Firmware can not be downgraded by Fuji users (it's likely Fuji technicians can do this). Even though you lost i40 HSS with Fuji X-T1 FW 5.0, all earlier supported i40 functions (including on-camera TTL) operate properly.

There's always the possibility Nissin will develop updated i40 FW to restore undocumented HSS. I'm guessing Nissin will provide a Fuji Air 1 Commander (and receiver) that supports HSS and off-camera TTL for the i40/i60. This seems likely now that Fuji has committed to an HSS protocol for the EF-X500 with the latest X-camera FW updates.

Anyway, hoping this is the case.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  16. oddasea

oddasea Active Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting discussion above, but I have two (dumb) questions: one, what is HSS? and two, how does one update a Nissen i40, if one wanted to? Thanks, in advance....

17. jknights

-Return to Top-

HSS = high speed sync for flash. This allows you to shoot at faster than the regular shutter sync speed e.g. For X-T2 > 1/250.
    Both flash and camera have to be compatible and capable.
    Normally you lose power as the flash in HSS mode works differently.

The Nissin i40 is not user updatable but needs to be sent back to the local distributor.

oddasea likes this.
  18. John Criminger

John Criminger Member

-Return to Top-

I've updated to 5.0 and have a non-updated Nissin i40. I haven't tried HSS, but everything else works just fine.

19. Tidalwave11

Tidalwave11 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Has anyone sent in and received their i40 flash back from Nissin and can confirm whether HSS works or does not work with X-T1 on 5.0 firmware?

Also, do you think it's okay to do a lens firmware update with body still on firmware 4.31? All of my current lenses are on the latest firmware versions, so this is an academic question for future use.

Version 5.0 is quite literally very irrelevant for me, as I'm not the target audience for Fuji'x new X500 flash--beyond being very expensive, it's also quite large. I have some cheap manual large flashes when I need big output in slave mode.

20. jknights

-Return to Top-

Yes the lens can be updated on a v4.31 body. I did all the lens updates on my XT1.