This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Working in stop down with X100T

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by dumonstre, Mar 19, 2017.

1. dumonstre

dumonstre Active Member

-Return to Top-

Hi there,
    I'm trying to figure out if i can play with my x100T in stop down like we use to with slr film type camera.
    Now i can see the blue line in distance scale and i know it's not that acurate so i found the possibility to add depth of field preview in the fn fonction. My problem is i don't see any difference in the view finder when it's on (either in ovf and evf). When it's on the screen doesn't get darker or lighter and i wonder how this fonction work.
    So what am i missing here?

Mabe i'm wrong and misunderstood what this fonction is for, if so tell me what are we suppose to do with that.

Many thanks

2. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you have exposure preview on, the DOF preview closes the aperture so that you can evaluate the DOF but you will still see the same exposure preview displayed. (Technically, the display adjusts for the physically closed aperture so that the preview remains the same as the one that has been calculated for you while full open). Hope I'm clear enough... ;-)

dumonstre likes this.
  3. dumonstre

dumonstre Active Member

-Return to Top-

Isshhh not sure i understand correctly . I need to cancel the exposure preview to view the DOF, right?

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Member

-Return to Top-

No. Try using focus peaking. Then you will see the effect of pdof. However, in bright light, the X-100t will stop down some in the EVF/LCD even without pdof activated.

The camera can boost the monitors quite a bit to compensate for the light reduction when activating pdof. In very poor light, however, you can see the them start to struggle with noise and frame rates when you activate pdof.

dumonstre likes this.
  5. dumonstre

dumonstre Active Member

-Return to Top-

I did try with exposure preview cancel and it's working, but so noisy that it's difficult to see the DOP.
    We really feel the limit of the Evf. Truly something that could be improve with a better evf.
    Thanks!

6. Immanuel

Immanuel Member

-Return to Top-

Well, you rob the sensorfor a lot of light, and it all starts there.

Dirk Offringa likes this.
  7. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you try to use stop down in live view under lowlight conditions you will obviously experience the limits of the sensor's sensibility like any camera would.... It's not really an evf issue.