This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Wired cable release for the X-T2

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Karelowe, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

Has anyone used a wired cable release with the X-T2? If so, what brand? I have a "Vello ShutterBoss" that I thought was compatible, but I can't use it on Manual and hold in the button for as long as I want. It will do a 30 second shot and bracket shots (if I use the Timer Start/Stop button) instead of the button that one usually uses to take the shot. I used the Vello on my Canon Cameras in the past. I am getting ready for a big trip and would love to get this figured out soon. I don't know if it is a setting, or just not compatible. Thanks for any input.

2. Scott Grant

Scott Grant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you have the camera set to 'Bulb' or to the 'T' setting?

3. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

I thought I have tried both but not sure in my frustration which I should have it set on.

4. Rand47

Rand47 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I use a little inexpensive Canon branded one that has a shutter button with slide lock for use on "Bulb".. works great for LE work. 2.5 jack.

Rand

5. Scott Grant

Scott Grant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It will only work in Bulb mode. Give it a try!

6. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

I have looked at pictures of the RR 90 (Fuji) and it looks like it has a different end. My Vello does connect into the microphone port which is the 2.5 jack I believe.....I wondered if that made a difference. I will try again making sure I am on B (Bulb)....Thank you.

7. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

Just tried again. Bulb mode (which is where I had it already set)...nothing. It will focus, but not take a shot. If I turn on my Vello (can be used manually while off) it works the same, although I can take a picture if I use the Timer Start/Stop button instead of the " Manual button on the larger handle.

8. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

I have been reading forums, etc and from what I can determine, is that the vello as well as the canon release don't play well. I have a feeling that the simple releases will do fine, but the ones like mine, etc with the Intervalometer on them confuse things. Will talk with B & H when they open and see what they say. Thanks to all.

9. Alan7140

Alan7140 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

People are also having trouble with Nissin i40 flash units, which Nissin are charging a fee to update. The X-T2 is a totally new camera, as is its processor and firmware. To expect third party accessories to work with it - particularly when Fuji itself makes products for the same purpose, is perhaps being a bit overly optimistic.

I can't see Fuji rushing to update their own firmware in these situations, either. It will be up to the makers of the third party product to modify their product to work with the X-T2, not the other way around.

Meanwhile the X-T2 has included a mechanical cable release socket in the shutter button.

Cable releases are cheap, reliable and have a mechanical collar lock which will hold the shutter open on B for the full 60 minutes the camera allows. Releasing the lock closes the shutter.

Using T enables setting the shutter speed manually from 30 seconds to 1/8000 second by using the rear command dial, the shutter speed is displayed at the bottom of the viewfinder.

10. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have used many Canon-type wired 2.5 remotes with the Fuji X bodies and they all work great. If that is the type of connector it has I'm surprised that it doesn't work! The micro-USB type also work fine (3rd party cheap versions of the RR-90). I've used both types with the X-T2 with no problems, though I can't recall seeing the MIC/REMOTE menu choice pop up in my travels with this camera. Possibly it auto-detects the difference so no menu setting is required.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  11. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

I guess I am wondering if it is simple release ones that work verses the intervelometer ones that don't seem to?

12. mdgodf

mdgodf Well-Known Member

Sydney (Northern Beaches area), Australia

-Return to Top-

I use the fuji RR 90 remote with the X-T2 - it took awhile to figure out that the micro USB 2.0 connector will fit into the larger part of the micro USB 3.o socket - the picture on page 66 of the manual shows it but you need to look closely. The battery will also charge that way if you connect it to powered USB outlet. I also use the IOShutter pro which uses the 2.5mm jack and an app on your IOS phone, it didn't work properly on the X-T1 but seems to be fully compatible with the X-T2.

Zurubi likes this.
  13. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My intervalometer version with the micro USB connector works just fine - it is this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/JJC-compatib...88745&sr=8-1&keywords=Jjc+rr90+intervalometer

ETA: just tried my 2.5 jack-type intervalometer (Hahnel Giga T Pro II) with the X-T2 and it also works fine.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

No, mine is the Vello Shutter-boss version 2. It has the microphone end, not the usb.

visorvet likes this.
  15. adamcornwell

adamcornwell Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Just discovered my basic Vello Wired Remote Switch doesn't work with my new X-T2. Worked great on the XT1. Most of the time nothing happens when I press the trigger, but occasionally there's a ~20 second delay and then all of a sudden it will fire off a bunch of shots from when I tried multiple presses to get it to work. Good to know it's not a defective camera, I guess. Now to find another remote trigger...

16. crashton

crashton Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Another reason to keep my XT-1. Thanks Adam you've saved me a lot of money. :)

17. Karelowe

Karelowe Member

-Return to Top-

Since I started this thread I will report on my solution. I purchased
    a Vello RS-C1 II for $7.95 from B&h and it now works just fine on my X-T2. The gentleman from B & H said that having the 2 intervalometers interfered with each other. He did specify this particular model (it has the II after the number). I am totally happy.

crashton likes this.
  18. Cher

Cher Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Be careful with the Vello remotes, they are cheap for a reason. Personally I am a bit leery of them. I burned through 2 of them in a couple months with the xt1, the company replaced both and said it was probably a bad batch. I have my doubts as I burned through one of the replacements in no time. Now I use an old fashion mechanical release with my X-T2. Much more reliable.

19. Macro

Macro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To save a few $$, I've tried some off-brand 2.5mm remotes, but seems like the contacts are not well made, and hard to get a feel where the trigger points are. Either they won't fire, or half-press is to close to full-press, sometimes intermittent, etc.

Finally returned to using a Canon RS-60ES again, they just work.

[​IMG]

20. superdel

superdel Member

-Return to Top-

Well done Macro, I never thought of my old RS-60ES. I bought it for my Canon 300D in 2006.