This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Which film emulation for sports?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by JeffLiban, Mar 18, 2017.

1. JeffLiban

JeffLiban Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

So I am taking out my X-T10 for a soccer game tomorrow, I never had the chance to shoot sports that's why I wonder which jpeg film mode to use?
    I won't take in Raf because it will slow down the buffer

2. nwcs

nwcs Former Gear Addict

-Return to Top-

I'd suggest, since you're using jpeg, just leave it on provia. Given time of day you may select adjustments for highlight or shadow toning.

JeffLiban and johant like this.
  3. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with @nwcs, use something "neutral". Also double check your white balance. Fuji is good in auto WB, but sometimes if it's a bit cloudy, you might want to make a change. You could set up a custom WB, never a bad idea when you have a lot of uniform jpgs to shoot.

At the game site, choose a shutter speed presumably sufficient to stop the action (maybe 1/250 or 1/500 or one of your choosing). Now balance aperture and ISO to get the results you want. Also make sure you take care of highlight in the exposure. If one of the teams is wearing white, you might want to bias the exposure a bit so that details in the uniforms are recorded.

Review how to view your results in the EVF. Many times outdoors in bright conditions, the LCD is a difficult place to make "critical" judgements on how you are doing with your assignment.

Have fun,
    Roger

mkr and JeffLiban like this.
  4. FrankBB

FrankBB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You might also try Astia to see if you like that better than Provia, especially for skin tones and at the same time maybe a nicer shade of blue in the sky.

5. ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Try them all and see which one you like best.

6. JeffLiban

JeffLiban Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks all
    I tried a couple but I finally got back to Raf because the difference between shadows and highlights was too big due to the end of the day, 70% of the stadium was under a shadow, any sunny part was obviously much brighter, I took Raf shots because at least I can edit them at home.
    The game started 1 hour late, if it started as it was supposed to I would have shot in jpegs.