This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Two Playing Dogs

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by ljzc, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ljzc

ljzc Member

-Return to Top-

My shot yesterday at a reservation trail near Medford, MA. X-T2 18-55 f8 1/550 ISO200. I applied Astia profile in LR, with a heavy crop and some dehaze, clarify and other adjustments I am learning still.

I think in retrospect, my shutter speed wasn't high enough- as I always have the polarizer on. I was learning to use the Velvia profile and thought it was very strong. Turned out Astia is kind of similar- but I found other profiles such as Pro High, Classic Chrome and Provia are all very different.

I've also felt I haven't tried hard enough, as my photos seem flat to me. May be a natural thing that will take time. I recognize the light is flat during the day. Perhaps should try better times but then it will be hard work, for me at least.

I appreciate your critiques. Thanks for looking.

20170318-DSCF1396.jpg

2. Madhav Bodas

Madhav Bodas Member

-Return to Top-

Seems good to me considering it's a snow shot. It will be good if you can share the original size image and the EXIF data to better appreciate the photograph.

3. cmh

cmh Member

-Return to Top-

Nice job on the exposure on a snow/sky shot - that isn't easy. The slightly slow shutter speed shows the motion of the dogs, but you may want to freeze them and have them sharp - that is a bit of a personal preference.

I think you could use to work on your composition and think about the subject. If your subject is the dogs, try getting closer to them so they fill more of the frame and we can see more detail (easier said than done, I know). If the subject is the wide open snow field, I think you have too much sky. Also the line of the dogs across the image (one chasing the other) makes me feel like this wants to be a landscape orientation rather than portrait. Mostly personal choices, but I'm trying to give you some things to think about.

Thanks for sharing.

ljzc likes this.