This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

So, how useful is this technique? Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by dream3, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Cats and Brews

Cats and Brews New Member

-Return to Top-

This is actually my mine use of the 'Auto" function on my X-T20. When with family members/friends, or when I go to Disney World in a couple of months, if I ever need to hand my camera over to someone to take a shot of me with my family, I just put it in 'Auto' mode and it becomes pretty much idiot proof. I may not use Auto myself, but it's great for when you and your camera to a casual user.

2. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am seriously thinking about moving in that direction. Only problem, . . . when I hand the camera to my wife to take a shot I'm gonna' get "why on earth did you by a camera that you have to push two buttons to take a picture?"

rayvonn and TheEmrys like this.
  3. liggy

liggy Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

I really like using the joystick and a half press of the shutter. Not coming from a DSLR the back button AFL method never made any sense to me.

4. Blazer

Blazer Fuji Commander

-Return to Top-

Back focus is great for situations when your distance to subject is not changing, just your composition. Manual focus mode, then back button to focus, then all subsequent shots are in focus regardless of composition, until you focus again.This is much faster than changing focus position each time. Of course if you are shooting with very limited depth of field, this can be a problem, as the composition change can then force refocusing.

tbhv55 and liggy like this.
  5. liggy

liggy Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Thanks - will give it a try.

6. TLtravels

TLtravels Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I never have used back focus on my X-T2. I'm a lefty and moving my right thumb or finger around to find a small little button just feels so unnatural for me. It was hard enough just to get use to moving my thumb to locate and use the focus joystick. Maybe I will give the back focus thing a try someday down the road. If I could customize my X-T2 I would put a back focus button (and maybe a focus joystick) on the left side of my camera in a comfortable location for my left thumb and probably would use it a lot. I like my camera operation to feel as natural as possible so I can concentrate on the light and composition to capture the moment (and my interpretation) of the scene in front of me.

7. X-Block Dave

X-Block Dave New Member

-Return to Top-

Try assigning one (or even two ) of the N/S/E/W function buttons around the selector switch to AF-ON. Once you get used to it it's not too bad. I set my N & W ones both to AF-ON and it works OK. I'm anxiously waiting for the next wave of FW updates when I plan to put AF-ON to the Rear Command Dial.

8. Dan Hillier

Dan Hillier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With an X-T1, is back button focusing the same as using AF-C in manual focusing mode? Or is there more to this?

9. pixelstate

pixelstate Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Agree. I used back button focus technique on both the Nikon D3 and D800 but can't get happy with this on the fuji.
    I have got it set to back button focus when the focusing switch is turned to M which helps for focus and re-compose when shooting landscapes.

10. gerlofhoekstra

gerlofhoekstra Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

A number of small things that -for me- ruin the total experience:
    • button size & placement: yes, switching ae and af lock and a blob of sugru helps but still not ideal
    • all kind of strange differences in behavior between single and continuous af using back button focus (focus confirmation, x-pro frame lines, focus speed&accuracy)
    • hunting when trying to focus on a static object using BBF
    • last but nog least: my Nikon was allways on continuous high, so I could seamlessly switch between all possible combinations of one shot/boost/single/continuous af without having to change a single setting. If I have the Fuji on continuous high, I am not able to make just 1 shot by pressing the shutter briefly. I always end up with 2 or more shots.
    Configured for back button focus and in continuous high mode, the Nikon gave me that solid, simple, well designed feel.
    The Fuji implementation feels....clumsy.
    Don't get me wrong: I love my Fujis, but on the subject of BBF the Fuji engineers still have a lot to learn. I think they should be obliged to use a Nikon (or Canon) for a few months to learn how BBF should work.

11. PBJello

PBJello Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I never liked this technique and could never get used to it. I found it to be a hassle and of no benefit in my photography.

crashton likes this.
  12. liggy

liggy Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

So glad I'm not the only one. :). Only tried it briefly but I like to shoot wide open with a shallow DOF and the joystick is much better for that kind of shooting IMO.

PBJello likes this.
  13. Gilles caraguel

Gilles caraguel New Member

-Return to Top-

On the X-T2 Fuji implemented it the same way as Nikon. So while I stopped using it on my X-T1, BB is now back un the game :) But I use AE-L button instead if the AF-L due the button placement.

14. Gilles caraguel

-Return to Top-

Worth every second spent on it and it won't take weeks I can tell you. A couple of ours are sufficient to be able to use it maybe a bit more to completely master this technique.

15. FrankBB

FrankBB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I guess it all depends on how you shoot and what you like to shoot. I use back-button focus on my Nikon almost every weekend when shooting things that move with a big lens on a monopod. It works great, even more so now that I finally got a Nikon digital that has a proper AF-On button on it. I used it on my older film cameras too.

But, that said, on the Fuji bodies, which I use for mostly stationary subjects in travel, sight-seeing type shooting, I find the shutter button focus to work just fine, and actually prefer it. Now with the focus stick it's even better too.

16. Gilles caraguel

-Return to Top-

If you don't need continuous mode, I agree it's not as useful. Still I like decoupling the focusing from the triggering act but it's really a matter of taste

17. FrankBB

FrankBB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Exactly, and I guess I should have said that I almost never use the Fuji in continuous autofocus mode. For tracking moving subjects with AF-C and CL or CH though, I very much prefer to have a back-button focus set up.

Gilles caraguel likes this.
  18. Gilles caraguel

-Return to Top-

The big pb for me is when you hand the x-T2 to someone to take a picture. It would be great to be able to store different setup profile to change quickly the camera setup.

19. Cats and Brews

Cats and Brews New Member

-Return to Top-

That is one of the great things about the X-T20 'Auto' switch. I can have my camera set up with BBF, the metering I want for the scene, ISO, etc. and when I want someone to take a pic of me and my family I just throw it in "Auto" and hand it to them.

20. rhclphoto

rhclphoto New Member

-Return to Top-

I have it completely integrated into my shooting now. I did this with Nikons and I no have it set for both my X-T2 and Pro 2. So with the cameras set to manual focus I can quickly set the focus point and back button the focus. Its great for street. I even use it for landscape because once I set the initial focus point I can still dial it in manually. If I need to shoot in AF-s of AF-C then it is an easy switch with the dial and the focus reverts to the shutter button.