This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Recommendation for camera (flash?) settings cycling photos

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by kneops, May 18, 2017.

1. kneops

kneops New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm using the XT1 and 2 for a few years now, but never got the chance to experiment with fast moving obects in combination with tracking system, with or without flash. Now I have to take some pictures of a professsional cyclist, including an action photo.

What would be the best settings on the X-T2 when I want to take a picture of someone cycling towards me, but not straight to me, a bit more diagonal if you know what I mean, and then passing me. Simply put, I'm standing next to a road and she cycles past me.

Suggestions would be very welcome for how to cope with this, with and without using flash (EF500).

Thanks!

2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I dont think you will be very popular if you use flash as this can disturb the cyclists if they are going at speed. The flash can give temporary loss of accurate sight/blindness which could cause a crash.

I would shoot manually. Prefocus on a point and use a high ISO 1600/3200 and you will get great photos. You just need good fast shutter speed 1/1000 or 1/500 and depending on lens, f5.6/8.

Good luck.
    Remember to post some images.

Irene McC likes this.
  3. Alanbill99

Alanbill99 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Oh, and DO NOT use electronic shutter!

jknights likes this.
  4. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you haven't already done so, take a look at this Fuji site that gives a good overview of the AF system: NEW AF SYSTEM SPECIAL SITE | FUJIFILM
    I've done a couple of pro bicycle races as well as one time shooting from the infield of a velodrome (that's when I learned how fast these bikes go!).
    I use AF-C; either CL or CH; Focus Priority (some will recommend Release), Zone, and one of the pre-set AF-C custom settings ... there are some good recommendations on the above mentioned site. I'd let the ISO go up up .... to be sure you have a fast shutter speed ...Good luck - and, try to practice before hand ... go out to a busy intersection and take pics of vehicles ...(and, as Alanbill99 mentioned, do NOT use electronic shutter)

5. DaveW19904

DaveW19904 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Once I got the "frozen" shot at 1/1000 and F5.6 and whatever ISO that takes, I'd try to get a motion shot with a blurred background. Set the camera at 1/30th, F16 or 22, lowest ISO and pan the camera to keep it moving at the same speed as the rider, then push the shutter and keep panning...

jknights likes this.
  6. kneops

kneops New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the suggestions! This photo is going to be a kind of portrait, so using flash is an option. Ofcourse I want to try out both if I have the time.