This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

new x pro1 vs updated xp1 vs xe2s

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by Jim D, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jim D

Jim D Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hello , looking for some first hand input from the group . Xe1 owner here , looking to add a body either a new xp1 , used xp1 with all updates or an xe2s .
    I watched a video by a pro fuji x photog. who says his new xp1 is a good bit faster with more accurate focus than his updated x100s. Has questions as to whether the newer xp1 bodies actually have different hardware beyond the new firmware because it has advanced so far from the original xp1 he had. Do we know if an older updated xp1 will perform as well as a new xp1 body and how either performs compared to an xe2s.

thanks in advance for the input..

2. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It would surprise me very much if they had updated the hardware during the X-Pro1 production run.

3. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, the XP1 hardware is not different as far as I know, and that would be very unlikely. The software updates made a big difference. The newer lenses are a lot quicker too.

I have used an X-Pro1 for around 4 years, and have used an X-E2 that I bought used for nearly the same amount of time. The X-E2 has always been a whole lot faster than the X-Pro1, and continues to be much faster. Both of my cameras are running the latest firmware. The X-Pro1 will never ever catch up to any of the X-E2 and later generations.

I love my X-Pro1, but the X-E2 is a far more capable camera in many ways. The X-E2s viewfinder seems a bit better than my X-E2.

4. adnan w

adnan w Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The XE2/s has PD pixels. The Xpro1 does not.
    This hardware difference alone will hold the Xpro1 back as far as focus performance goes.

5. Blazer

Blazer Fuji Commander

-Return to Top-

Unless you specifically want an optical viewfinder, I'd go with the X-E2s.

Robert Davey likes this.
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I bought a used X-P1 and did the software updates. AFAIK there are no hardware differences between any of the X-P1's. I actually picked the X-P1 over an X-E2 because I prefer the look of the first generation X-Trans over the newer ones. Of course the AF speed will be better on the X-E2 and X-E2s but the OVF on the X-P1 is really pretty cool. Since I rarely need fast AF the X-P1 made sense (and I love it) but it is certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

7. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Only when you shoot RAW, or prefer the look of the X-Trans II JPEGs.

8. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I suspect the OP means Xpro2 when they said "new Xpro1."

9. Threaded

Threaded Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I don't think so. I know the "photouniverse" video he's referring to, made late last year, where the author puzzles over whether the "new" X-Pro1 (not xp2) they just bought has the same hardware as the original they used as its that much improved in terms of performance, and even suggests it performs better than their X100S. Of course it is the same hardware, they just achieved an awful lot in all those firmware updates.