This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lensmate X100F Thumbrest

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by Lacroix1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Lacroix1

Lacroix1 Member

-Return to Top-

Just got a link to order mine. I'm assuming many of you will as well if you're on the waiting list. It's the foldable one.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

2. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I previously had the Match Tech - Thumb-up for my XE2 and loved it, really well made (love the brass body) but $$$ :-(

Just couldn't part with nearly $200.00 for one for my XP2, so took a chance and got the Lens Mate folding design as above for my XP2... LOVE IT!

It fits tight (tighter than the Thumbs-up did actually), feels more solid than it's aluminium construction would suggest and adds less weight.

The finish and fit feel top drawer as well, I couldn't be happier really. If you have an X-Body and are considering a thumb grip, the Lens Mate is sure to satisfy your ergonomic tastes and not offend your financial ones.

3. fiddlergene

fiddlergene Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Got the Lensmate foldable for my XP2, and it's the last piece of equipment I'll ever buy from them. It's not sturdy. Within a month the foldable part of the grip became bent at the joint, and when I tried, oh so gently, to correct it the metal just snapped. If I ever get a thumbgrip again it'll me the brass Machtech!

jdenlinger likes this.
  4. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

No disrespect, but bending T6 Aluminum is no mean feat, especially when that small...

One has to wonder if most other materials would have suffered no less from that blow.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I have the folding Lensmate thumb rest (and their soft touch button as well) for my X-P1 and it's terrific

6. LoneTreeBeer

LoneTreeBeer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have used Lensmate thumb-rests extensively on my X100S and Xpro2; never had any problems and think that they are really well made.

@fiddlergene - if I were in your position, I would contact Lensmate - they would honour their warranty

7. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

I'm still happy with the $2.50 plastic one I purchased off eBay for the X100s about 3 1/2 years ago. I thought I would use it until it broke then either decide to buy a "real" one or not use one at all. The plastic one is still going strong with no signs of failure and I no longer see the justification for paying the sort of money people like Lensmate ask for these things.

8. Allen2oo3

Allen2oo3 Member

-Return to Top-

Do you mind sharing the link? I didn't get an email even though I signed up for updates.

9. fiddlergene

fiddlergene Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good idea, I'll give it a try

10. davidvj

davidvj Active Member

-Return to Top-

How does this work with the knurled adjustment control sitting behind the folding piece?

11. mnsato

mnsato New Member

-Return to Top-

12. jdenlinger

jdenlinger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Waiting for an X-T20 one

13. davidvj

davidvj Active Member

-Return to Top-

Fold the grip to access the command wheel ... and just how dumb is that! Can you imagine doing that single handed!

14. susan Doel

susan Doel New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Allen,

This is Susan of Lensmate.

The fellow that posted above saying he was able to order the new X100F Folding Thumbrest was sent a private link, as were the first batch of customers on our huge interested parties list. Using a private link that expires, allows us to have control over the number of items being sold, and keeps the general public from buying ahead of our interested parties list.

As our shipments come in we will be emailing the next group in line on our interested parties list until the list is fulfilled. It appears that the first 3 shipments may be sold out. Once the list is filled we will offer the X100F Folding Thumbrest through our website.

So do not worry, if you are on our list we will be emailing you soon.

Best Regards Susan

Allen2oo3 and Lacroix1 like this.
  15. susan Doel

susan Doel New Member

-Return to Top-

Just so people know, the X100T thumbrest does not fit the new X100F - that is why we designed the X100F as a Folding thumbrest, it was required in order to allow access to all the control dials and buttons.

Regards Susan of Lensmate.

16. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've got the LM100T on my X100T and it's a real quality item. I had tried several cheapo ones but didn't get on with them. It isn't easy for us in UK to purchase Lensmate items we have to go through their own website and get stung for customs at this end as well as a Post Office handling charge. All that said it didn't stop me ordering one for my XT1 when I had it and that was a quality item also.

Digital~Nomad likes this.
  17. mnsato

mnsato New Member

-Return to Top-

susan
    i have a x100t grip that is on a x100f
    the grip is fine on the 100f

18. susan Doel

susan Doel New Member

-Return to Top-

Though you could use the X100T thumbrest on the X100F camera, it’s not optimal for most users.

Because the X100F rear control dial is farther from the hot shoe than the X100T, the X100Ts grip cutout isn’t centered over the control dial resulting in too little clearance for larger thumbs to rotate the dial. The shutter speed/iso dial is also difficult to use for larger hands. The X100Fs hinged design makes it easy to access both of these controls. Additionally, the X100Fs larger grip improves comfort with heavier lenses.

19. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm waiting to see what the Match Technical one looks like when it comes out. The whole idea of needing to FOLD the thumb rest to reach a dial just doesn't seem reasonable to me... I have the old T thumbrest on mine now and it isn't perfect but it seems a better solution unless you really use the back dial for manual focus a lot.

That said, the quality of Lensmate doesn't deter me, but the design just doesn't seem "complete" to me.

Any of you who have them can tell me I'm wrong about the folding part, but it looks and sounds klunky to me...

20. susan Doel

susan Doel New Member

-Return to Top-

Totally understand that people may choose a different solution.

Here is a youtube review of our Xpro2 Folding Thumbrest so you can see the functionality.
    [/QUOTE]