This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lens for X-T20

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by double00, Mar 20, 2017.

1. double00

double00 New Member

-Return to Top-

New owner of an X-T20 here and wondering what lenses those with this camera are using. I am coming from Nikon D7100 with 35mm, 16-85, 300mm lenses and mostly shoot general photography, i.e., travel, street, and I enjoy some macro, etc. I like the Fuji size and image quality much better than Nikon.

The X-T20 is rather small and some of the larger lenses would seem to be unbalanced on the smaller body. Although I have not tried any of the larger lenses on the T20, so I can't say for certain.

I currently have the 18-55 that came with the camera. The 27 pancake, to me, is a natural for the T20. Curious what other lenses those that have this camera are using and believe work great with this size body?

2. Blazer

Blazer Fuji Commander

-Return to Top-

two options for you... 1) add the 18mm and new 50mm to your 27... great 3-lens "compact prime" kit for the X-T20... or 2) add the 14mm and 55-200 zoom to your 18-55 for a larger full range 3 lens kit... so many choices... so little cash! good luck.

jdenlinger likes this.
  3. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Assuming you liked the Nikon lenses you were using, I would get the 55-200mm and a 35mm to go with the 18-55mm Fuji lens you already have.

4. double00

double00 New Member

-Return to Top-

I did like the Nikon lenses I was using. I was mostly concerned with the size of the T20 not being able to handle some of the larger Fuji lenses.

I have not handled the 50-200 is it similar in size to the 18-55. Would it be unbalanced on the T20?

Which of the XF35mm lenses are more suitable for the T20? I liked the Nikon 35 because it was a fast lens, 1.8 for low light situations.

Is the XF23 at 1.4 smaller than the 35 1.4? If so, I would not be opposed to the 23 - 35 in FF. Pictures of the XF35 1.4 looks as if this lens is fairly large.

5. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I cannot comment on big lenses used on small bodies because I have no problem using full-frame Nikon lenses on APS-C bodies or micro 4/3 bodies.

Also, when I use a lens that is bigger and heavier than the body, I usually do not shoot handheld. Instead, I mount the lens on a tripod or monopod and then attach the lightweight camera body to the lens. I never mount the unbalanced, front-heavy, lightweight camera body directly to the tripod or monopod.

However, if the size of the 35mm lens is important, you may want to consider the smaller Fuji 35mm f/2 instead of the larger Fuji 35mm f/1.4. Or, you may want to consider the smaller Fuji 23mm f/2 instead of the larger Fuji 23mm f/1.4. Personally, I prefer the f/1.4 version because I need the extra light gathering more than I need a smaller lens.

6. nwcs

nwcs Former Gear Addict

-Return to Top-

There are many good options. Which lenses you should consider should be something you see from he focal lengths you use often. Take a look at that first before buying a bunch of stuff. It's easy to get a lens that's cool but you'll never use. Don't get anything just because someone did a nice pic with it.

The 18-55 is a good start. I suggest trying it alone and see what you're missing out on and then buy. There really aren't any clunkers in the lens set. But I think the new f2 primes and the 55-200 are lenses to consider.

MontyBigglesworth likes this.
  7. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Narsuitus likes this.