This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji X-T2 and Nissin i40 - not working properly?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Carolyn, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Migel gabo

Migel gabo New Member

-Return to Top-

Understood, but with the old i40 firmware ,HSS worked on X-Pro2, X-T1, X-E2 and so on, now with the new firmware HSS doesn't work on the aforementioned cameras (based on the report by Akira Yamaguchi).

There is no reason why HSS shouldn't work with those cameras as the information required to make the function possible exists.

Do you see what I mean?

2. zen

zen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yeh , mine is really spotty now, it was working fine for a while, now half the time i get the low power flash, im going to just leave it as it is and just use it on the T1 and buy a new one for the T2

3. myshkin

myshkin New Member

-Return to Top-

Oh no... I just got my new XT-2 and the i40 is NOT working. Same problem here. The power output is very small and no where near the GN40 rating.

4. envirobob

envirobob Member

-Return to Top-

Got my i40 back from Minox with the new firmware for the X-T2. All is good now...both TTl and Manual work as it did on the X-T1.
    Quick turn around and great customer service.

5. youngerthanyesterday

youngerthanyesterday New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi, Can you confirm if forced HSS is also still available on the X-T1. Much appreciated.

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I got mine back, very fast turn around and ttl, auto and manual all work again. Haven't had a chance to try HSS but it sounds like that won't work? Will play tomorrow and make sure.

jknights likes this.
  7. youngerthanyesterday

-Return to Top-

Hi, From what I read HSS will still be absent from the X-T2. I'm trying to find out if forced HSS is still available on the X-T1.
    I have both X-T1 and X-T2 and so far I have not updated the i40 for fear of losing HSS on the X-T1. I am currently able to use the un-updated i40 in manual and as a slave on the X-T2 which is OK with me. Glad to hear the update went well however.

8. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also have the X-T1 and X-T2. I sent the i40 in for firmware upgrade and had it back within a week. (although shipping from where I am in the East was probably only a day or two).
    I can confirm that YES - HSS is still available on the X-T1 (ran some tests all the way to 1/4000th) .... and is NOT available on X-T2.
    Bill

jknights likes this.
  9. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, HSS still works on the X-T1 after firmware upgrade on the i40 (manual mode)

jknights likes this.
  10. youngerthanyesterday

-Return to Top-

Hi, Many thanks for testing and posting, truly much appreciated!

11. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Interested to see if you can get HSS working.
    I am helping with a workshop on lighting and I havent had time to test fully with my glorious X-T2. (So much better than and XT1 in every way except HSS with the Nissin i40)
    I will need to do this testing in the coming weeks.

12. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

HSS isn't going to work yet. Only TTL.

13. Bolts

Bolts Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

So...just to be clear. The upcoming Xpro2 firmware update will

- Stop the i40 working altogether. To fix this we will need to send it to Nissin for a firmware update which will allow it work including TTL mode.

- But, HSS will be lost until/if Fuji decides to do a firmware update to allow it.

If this is the case I'm tempted not to do the X-Pro2 upgrade ...(unless that AF is a massive step-up) because on balance I'd like to keep on using the i40 in in its current form - very useful it is.

Seems a bit of a mess.

14. jknights

-Return to Top-

1. The i40 will continue to work on XT1 until Fuji do the firmware update that makes HSS available to all cameras in the same way.
    2. Fuji are developing HSS for their camera which will be easy to use and so it wont be black magic! It will just work but you will need a EF-X500 to get the best of all of this.
    3. If I was you I would stick with the current XPo2 firmware unless you see real benefit for your shooting or you buy a EF-X500.

I will get an EF-X500 as soon as I can in the new year or even this year, but it does look very expensive for what it is!

My simplistic understand of what Fuji is trying to do is to make all flash modes easier to use.
    Manual - This means you know what you are doing and how you want to control the flash for its exposure but the flash sync will change to HSS mode if you set shutter speed to faster than 1/250th ;)
    Auto - Please mr camera take control of how the flash works in respect to flash sync up to 1/250th but if I use a faster shutter speed then put flash into HSS mode also help me a bit regarding exposure e.g. if I set f8 on the lens then assume I want f8 level of exposure.
    TTL - I think I cant be bothered/dont know how/etc, to use the flash so just do it for me!! Adjust camera exposure and flash output so I get the right exposure. This will work for 80-90% of most simple exposure situations but will not work for complex multi-flash shooting!

Apparently the process is still being refined but is working in principle.

Caveat - I may have misunderstood some of what was said to me but in general this is the train of thought!
    If you know more or better then please supply your understanding.

15. ceasley

ceasley New Member

-Return to Top-

Cactus v6 ii do not work on the X-T2. They work fine on X-T1. Waiting for a firmware update for the Cactus units, but also can't use my Nisson i40 on the X-T2. Very unhappy that Fuji would make so much of our expensive equipment obsolete. I bought the Cactus V6ii just a month before the X-T2 shipped and since they worked great on the X-T1 how could I have imagined that I was wasting $200. Lucky, my old PocketWizards and Nikon flashes work or I'd be totally without flash for this new baby.

jknights likes this.
  16. jknights

-Return to Top-

I think Cactus will provide a new firmware soon that fixes the problem.
    I certainly hope so but my Cactus v6 Mkii does work on my X-T2 with the Nikon SB800 in the Cactus and another in the X-T2 hotshoe.

17. jknights

-Return to Top-

I am guessing for those of us with Nissin i40 and XT1 with current firmware that we need to be aware that future XT1 firmware updates will align the HSS capabilities in the Fuji camera range.
    The unupdated Nissin i40 will be useless unless you stay with current firmware in XT1, XE1, XE2 and XPro1.

18. Buffett0462

Buffett0462 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good luck with Cactus update--maybe this century...

jknights likes this.
  19. Vicente

Vicente New Member

-Return to Top-

20. Georgervc

Georgervc New Member

-Return to Top-

I just want to pass on what a great experience I just had with the nissin guys. I had them upgrade the firmware at the photo expo in nyc last week. When I got the flash home it didn't work at all. I called them and they had one other case where the install fried the flash. They immediately mailed me a new one and just asked that I return the old one. The whole process from my trying my flash to the arrival of the new flash was 3 days.
    Great service.

jknights likes this.