This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji X-T2 and Nissin i40 - not working properly?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Carolyn, Sep 9, 2016.

1. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

No HSS on the XPro2 ? I guess that means that the new Nissin firmware kills the HSS for the XT1 as well. Not good news for me.
    I think I need to wait until tomorrow for my X-T2 then start exploring ways round this.

WANTED: Person with expertise in identifying flash protocols from data using an oscilliscope. Please contact me by PM.
    I would like to compare/contrast XT1 and X-T2 flash protocols for TTL and HSS.

RuiS likes this.
  2. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just to check, HSS on the i40/i60 will still work in manual mode though, right... just not in auto?

3. jknights

-Return to Top-

Yes it will work in Manual mode as a normal flash.

To get the flash in HSS mode you put in M mode (left dial), hold down the Test light/button for 3-4 secs and then the light next to the M (left dial) comes on.

Yes in HSS mode you need to control the exposure yourself so you just turn the (right) dial 1:1 <==> 1:256 to get your desired exposure. Usually it is in the range of 1:1 to 1:16 as the use of HSS also reduces the output of the flash.
    Remember you are using the shutter speed and aperture to effectively control the natural light but as usually you want and trying to keep aperture wide open. So this means going to 1/4000 shutter speed and then balancing your flash and natural light exposure. (It is easier to do than explain!!).

Usually I am trying to overpower the sky/sun to make for a darker (more natural) than washed out sky.

XE2-1-1426-Edit.jpg

Camera: XE2 with 56mm f1.2
    ISO: 200
    Shutter speed: 1/4000
    Aperture: f1.4
    Flash Nissin i40 in HSS mode

Richdog likes this.
  4. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, then seems like, while an inconvenience, HSS should be easy to sync to your shutter speed in manual mode, and the Nissin dials on the rear seem very easy to use.

5. jknights

-Return to Top-

But unless the flash does HSS then it wont allow the sync at higher sppeds than the normal sync speed (on X-T2 1/250, on others 1/180, e.g. XE2 or XT1).
    Putting the flash into HSS mode makes it lose about 3 stops of power (in my estimation) as the flash is firing very fast (I think 1-8 times) during one exposure.

If I cant get a definite, Yes the Nissin i40 works on both, XT1 and other legacy Fujis, as well as the X-T2 in HSS mode, then I wont upgrade the i40 firmware but instead buy a EF-X500 when it finally arrives in November or December.

6. Akira Yamaguchi

Akira Yamaguchi New Member

-Return to Top-

I can confirm with you that HSS DOES NOT work on the X-T2 even after using the long button press hack. It worked on the XT1 and Xpro 2 but not X-T2. I will test with my Xpro 2 tomorrow to see if HSS still works after the firmware update. Beware that i60a HSS should to work as well on the X-T2. This has something to do with all new Fujifilm firmwares which is now on the X-T2 and on future update of Xpro-2.

Migel gabo and jknights like this.
  7. Akira Yamaguchi

-Return to Top-

HSS hack is no longer available on the xpro2 after updating the i40 firmware.

8. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I will hold off until Christmas to buy a flash and pray that Nissin fix HSS on their flashes as well as Nissin Air 1 compatability. If not, I will be a very sad panda.

jknights likes this.
  9. Migel gabo

Migel gabo New Member

-Return to Top-

This is very disappointing.

10. jknights

-Return to Top-

Very disappointing.

Well it seems that the best option is to buy the EF-X500 then.

11. Migel gabo

Migel gabo New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm considering the Metz M400, as i would like compact HSS capable flash, but the X500 would be an excellent choice for a full size Speedlight.

12. Akira Yamaguchi

-Return to Top-

For xpro 2 users with the i40, your flash will not work after updating the next firmware for your xpro 2 next month. You then send your flash for firmware update in order for it to work again. But then you lose HSS. Disappointing indeed!

13. Migel gabo

Migel gabo New Member

-Return to Top-

Ya thats the boat I'm in, I just sent my i40 out for FW, SO sad. Thanks for taking the time to test and post. Cheers!

14. AtsukoK

AtsukoK New Member

-Return to Top-

I couldn't get the i40 flash to fire consistently either and would only get a faint flash. I don't think that I had my flash pushed in fully. It is now firing consistently in both M and TTL. Thank you!

15. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

16. Mindy Joy

Mindy Joy Active Member

-Return to Top-

I am commenting to confirm I have this issue as well. Full power doesn't seem to work. I was at a job (same room, same lighting, same subject matter) where I've previously used my XT-1 and i40 for fill and it used to be adequate and yesterday it was not duplicating past results with the XT-2. I used my yongnuo 560V and trigger to fill instead.

17. Migel gabo

Migel gabo New Member

-Return to Top-

18. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I got a reply from Nissin:

So, from that message, it (if accurate) seems that there is hope for a firmware update which contains the info they need to fix HSS. We can but hope...

Carolyn likes this.
  19. Migel gabo

Migel gabo New Member

-Return to Top-

That still raises the question, Why doesn't the updated i40 not work in HSS with the current X-Pro2/X-T1? (rhetorical question)

20. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As Nissin said, they are waiting for Fuji to release a firmware that gives them the information to fix HSS. Nissins own firmware that fixes TTL cannot fix HSS.