This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Flying high!

Discussion in 'Portraits, People, & Pets' started by AdrianG, Feb 26, 2017.

1. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Aye, but I never try to take candid photographs of anybody, including childers. I take my shots quick, unprepared and unannounced, but always obvious for everyone to see. I'm usually too quick to have an impact on the photo. Part of it is not to steal your shots. People have a feeling for thieves, and they are immediately suspicious. Scoolgirls with iPhones don't try to steal a shot, they do it naturally, obvious and innocent. I try to take my shots in the same manner.

Cheers!

2. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree.

Stealth is not a great idea in photography in most circumstances (the exceptions are not likely to include most of us). This is, of course, merely my opinion.

I hold an even stronger opinion: being sneaky with your kids will come back to bite you. Raising children is a long game and sacrificing the relationship of trust is unwise. Raising teenagers can be a challenging proposition in the best circumstances. Maintaining a relationship with your adult children can be put at severe risk if you don't maintain trust.

3. marsmail

marsmail Premium Member

-Return to Top-

AdrianG : F2Bthere - I take your point and would agree such "stealth" could (would?) be inappropriate. I was more using it in the respect of not interrupting the ongoing activity of family members, who were engrossed, as a means of showing their parents the sort of things their offspring enjoy while elsewhere. Parents who have to work miss out on a lot of their kids development, which can not otherwise be recaptured.

F2Bthere likes this.
  4. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Last fall, we went to a small zoo with the family of a classmate of my daughter. It was a glorious day. I brought my X-Pro and one lens. The other girl's dad brought a Nikon something and a bag full of lenses. A day at the zoo is good for half a dozen, maybe a dozen shots, right? It's family time, not a photo session. I took my first shot right at the entrance, with the zoo sign in it, totally staged, everybody cheering at the camera including me, and some unknown artist hitting the shutter. And then I stuffed the camera to the sandwiches in the hamper. The other dad kept eying around and sneaking away, ambushing and sniping us with his panzerfaust. Even I felt uncomfortable. But above all I felt sorry for him. He was working his camera hard and he would only enjoy this day second hand, looking at the photos on his computer. Perhaps this has nothing to do with anything.

5. minor7flat5

minor7flat5 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I like your point of view on this. So much of my childhood was documented on film, and pointlessly at times. Why does one need a photo of every animal at the zoo? Nobody will go back and look at that. Why does every Christmas present opening need to be photographed?
    One zoo trip is probably good for five or ten nice shots and one amazing one (my favorite childhood zoo shot is of me riding a tortoise at the Toledo zoo in 1972 at the invitation of a zookeeper...I still remember the voice of another little boy pleading "Mommy, why is that boy riding the tortoise?")

But if we can capture the occasional joyful photograph then the "greatest hits" photo album for 6th grade might be limited to ten or twenty stunning photographs, as opposed to hundreds of mediocre shots.
    Then, in later years, a family can actually look at several years of the very best shots in one sitting without yawning.

I'm not sure I consider sneaky unprepared photographs as always unpleasant or unwanted; as long as it's my family member and I show them the photograph and allow them to veto, I'm going to take a few sneaky shots. I have one photograph of my daughter gazing sadly out of a window into the distance; the look is stunning, but she did not know until I snapped the shutter. I wouldn't want to have missed that moment.

6. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You post reminds me of going to a child's recital, graduation, whatever and the parent(s) sitting behind a video camera throughout the whole event. Kind of misses the point... at least in my alternative universe it does.