This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fashion show shot with X-T2 not nearly as sharp as 5DIII. What to do?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by cathy, Feb 12, 2017.

1. ToneXA1

ToneXA1 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

GregWard, interesting and valid points!

I'm next in line who experiences the combination of the kind Fuji (X-T2, X-A1) and arrogant Adobe (APE14).

Since I've done a deeper step into digital photography I am more and more convinced (by today, they say could be different soon) that nothing can compensate a bad shot. Post processing can do a shot look different, but can not make a good shot from a bad one (while the opposite is true), maybe just less bad. So, mastering the camera is still the essential virtue of the photographer. It all starts and ends with the sharpness. If then you would like to apply a change to a good shot - any decent post processing SW is good enough!

cathy likes this.
  2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    In response to your post above......

As many of you know I dont do subscription software so I have been looking for alternatives to the Adobe Design Suite CS6 (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) and also to Lightroom6 as I believe that LR7 may be subscription only.

I have found several alternatives to Lightroom, namely CaptureOnePro, Lightzone, and Corel AfterShotPro.
    Find a replacement for Photoshop has proved difficult as I have many Actions and these are not supported by other software vendors. So I am stuck with Photoshop CS6 which means ACR v9.01 is the last version that works so the latest Fuji cameras are unsupported via ACR.
    I also do not like DNG as provided by Adobe as a solution.

So I kept looking around for alternatives. I have found a solution.
    It is an ACR replacement called MetaRaw. At present it is Windows only (I prefer Macs). So I contacted the developer and after some discussion he agreed to try to port to Mac. This has happened and I have been beta testing it. Results look good so far.

Link to the Plugin site where you can currently get the Windows and Mac versions is here.

The Plugin Site - MetaRaw

The Mac version will be available from today, I have been beta testing it and found no problems but I may have missed things.

I only need MetaRaw for Photoshop CS2,3,4,5,6 as ACR by Adobe cuts out at different versions depending on CS version number. I have CS6 Design Studio. MetaRaw also works with Adobe Photoshop Elements ;)
    MetaRaw supports up to and including the lastest version of RAW files that even the very latest version of ACR just supports so for a small fee you have most of Photoshop CC.

So I have a solution to LR, PS. The InDesign and Illustrator software still work fine for me but there is an Illustrator replacement from Serif called Affinity Designer that would work.
    So that just leaves a replacement for InDesign but there is Quark and a few others that offer alternative solutions.

So now it would seem my holy grail is found.
    Happy Days and may Adobe rot! As a company they seem to have become an arrogant monster with a take it or leave it attitude. They do make good software but for me, their attitude to me as a customer stinks. So goodbye to giving them my money.

ToneXA1 likes this.
  3. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On mac, darktable is a good replacement.

magmouse likes this.
  4. TheEmrys

TheEmrys Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Didn't Iridient start on Mac? Its pretty awesome for the PC version. I convert to DNG and it looks amazing in LR/ACR/Other Adobe stupid stuff.

5. jknights

-Return to Top-

I dont like the browser part but the RAW processor is good.

Yes IridientDeveloper is only available on Mac but IXT (same software developer) is for Windows.
    IridientDeveloper is one of the better RAW processors and it is kept bang up to date with new cameras. Well worth investing in..
    Unfortunately it needs a pixel editor like Photoshop if you want to do advanced editing.

6. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I shoot LR, haven't seen any issues everyone keeps talking but then I don't shoot landscapes. There was another thread where someone was talking how good Iridient is for portraits looking at 200% crop. Made me look at one of my pics at 200% in LR and it was better than OP's shots. Maybe I don't know.

7. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Checking in with an update.... I sent the camera/lens on April 6th. Called today to see how it's going and was told that from the initial images taken by customer service "something's not right." :) :) It's kind of strange that I am happy to hear that but I am! :) :)
    My camera's shots are inferior to the same shots taken with their camera. YAY! :) :)
    They wanted to know if I have been shooting with a flash. I haven't.
    Nothing diagnosed yet but I am very happy that they didn't tell me I had something set incorrectly OR that this is the best that the camera can perform.
    Stay tuned.

p.s. I have a big event next week (not fashion thankfully) that I am traveling to. Good possibility that I will have to either shoot it with my iPhone or miss it completely. :( Oh well.

DanGleabols and jknights like this.
  8. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

cathy likes this.
  9. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

10. jknights

-Return to Top-

Sometimes life deals you deuces other times it is rubbish. Some people are big on BS and lies but the truth is easier but occasionally painful.

Hope you camera and lens come back A1 and you can then really enjoy.

mikEm13 likes this.
  11. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

12. DanGleabols

DanGleabols Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds promising from repair center, not so much on missed gig.

13. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Okay...I think the time has come to complain about Fuji Customer Support!
    I sent my gear to them on April 6th. According to my receipt it was due to arrive there on the 8th (Saturday)
    I received an email that it was in their possession on the 11th.
    Today is the 22nd and repair has not even touched it yet!
    NOT GOOD!

Last night I was thinking about the suggestions that I should rent for my event next week.

Forget that, they need to send me loaner gear! Evidently that is a new option now available.
    I left a message Friday after speaking to them on Wednesday.
    Called again this morning and although customer service is open on the weekends PROFESSIONAL customer support is closed! :(
    Why can someone with an inexpensive consumer camera get help but NOT someone who owns their more expensive gear??? That seems backwards to me.
    I could go on but you get the idea... :( :( :(

14. Melson

Melson Member

-Return to Top-

I'm hijacking this thread to thank jknights for linking to the MetaRaw CS6 plugin. Previously, the DNG conversion was Adobe's only option for us CS6 holdouts. MetaRaw is a better solution, IMO. Thanks.

jknights likes this.
  15. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Since your camera is not very old, maybe they need to send you a brand new kit.

cathy likes this.
  16. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

@Greg_E my feelings EXACTLY! Can I tell them you said so? :) I am definitely going to ask for this OR a full refund when I speak to them on Monday!
    However it's not the body/lens kit. My lens is the 16-55 2.8

17. Yammer

Yammer Member

-Return to Top-

I just shot runway models at a fashion show. I used X-T2 with 18-55 and a Nikon D4 with 70-200 f2.8. I was fairly pleased with the performance of the Fuji combo as I wasn't expecting much from the 18-55 lens. (I wanted to rent the 50-140 but the store closed just before I got there, so I made do) Using samples below I wanted to share a few thoughts. Shot 1 was converted to DNG using X Transformer from a RAF file. Shot 2 is that DNG file with some minor sharpening added in LR. Shot 3 is SOOC jpg, but I can't recall for sure which film simulation it was. Shot 4 is that jpg file enhanced to my liking in LR. And finally, shot 5 is SOOC jpg from the Nikon D4. Fuji camera settings were 1/320, f4.0, ISO1250. Nikon setting was 1/500, f2.8, ISO800. My conclusion is that I am unimpressed by the DNG conversion and find no practical difference in the look of the image versus the SOOC jpeg Fuji produces. I am also quite pleased by how resilient the Fuji jpeg file is to LR modifications. I am very pleased with the Nikon jpeg files which continues to make it difficult to sell off my Nikon gear.
    Shot 1
    1SOOCRAFDNG-DYXT4391.jpg
    Shot 2
    1SharpRAFDNG-DYXT4391.jpg
    Shot 3
    1SOOCjpg-DYXT4391.jpg
    Shot 4
    1jpgenhance-DYXT4391.jpg
    Shot 5
    DSC_0980.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  18. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Shot 4 is my favorite but they all look good. I'd like to see what SOOC looks like zoomed in at 100% is that possible for you to post?
    p.s. There's no way I could get to 1/320 at ISO 1250 :(

19. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you're hitting one of the current shortcomings of Fujifilm, compared to Canon and Nikon; their support system for professionals. They are working on it (and they will need to even more with the GFX) but it is not easy to do in a few years what Canon and Nikon have built in decades.

jknights likes this.
  20. jknights

-Return to Top-

Those look more like what I would expect from the X-T2 and 18-55 combo. You are shooting the lens wide open I guess. The 16-55 f2.8 would be better as would the 50-140 f2.8.
    With settings of 1/320, f4, ISO 1250 it shows the sort of exposure setting that are representative.
    What AF settings were you using?