This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fashion show shot with X-T2 not nearly as sharp as 5DIII. What to do?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by cathy, Feb 12, 2017.

1. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,
    Last night I did a side by side comparison of a fashion show I recently shot with my new X-T2 + Fuji 16-55 vs the same show six months ago shot with my former Canon 5DIII + 24-70 2.8L II. There was a HUGE difference in sharpness with the X-T2 focus being much softer. Lighting conditions were the same in both shows. Dark room with lights on the runway. Before I bail out on Fuji and go back to Canon (which I am very tempted to do at this moment) can you please help with suggestions as to how I can improve focus. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to get tack sharp images with the X-T2 under these lighting conditions?
    I am mostly pre focusing...waiting till the model hits the end of the runway and walks into the selected focal point.
    I'm often using a color temperature of 2700k and spot metering.
    In addition the Fuji raw files are very grainy and pinkish.
    I look forward to hearing your suggestions, thanks in advance!

p.s. At a glance the shots look pretty good. It's when I zoom in on the eyes in Lightroom that they are very soft.

RuiS likes this.
  2. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How about posting some examples from each camera?

jazzcow and cathy like this.
  3. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, will do. I'm working on that right now, thanks.

4. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

These are screen shots of two unprocessed images fully zoomed in LR. You can guess which one is Canon and which is Fuji!
    The full images both look fairly sharp but once zoomed in there's a huge difference imho.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 2.48.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 2.51.07 PM.png

5. Gaston

Gaston Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like the Canon better but................ I'm sure there is something wrong with your settings with the Fuji. I know for fact that one can get very sharp pictures with the Fuji. Hope you find the right settings soon. Hang on!

mintprime and cathy like this.
  6. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I assume the second image is the Fuji.

Is it possible to post the EXIF info for both?

cathy likes this.
  7. steveo52

steveo52 Active Member

-Return to Top-

Ditto.

cathy likes this.
  8. photonongrata

photonongrata Member

-Return to Top-

I would expect better than that off my X-T2, even in that light. I'm not one to say that just in support of fuji, either. Looks like an AF settings focus issue, or shutter speed issue to me, my lenses give me tack sharp to the pixel results. Hang in there!

cathy likes this.
  9. Ronin Photo & Design

Ronin Photo & Design Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Electronic shutter?

10. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

EXIF info... Canon: 1/200 sec at f/4.5 ISO 3200
    Fuji: 1/125 sec at f/2.8 ISO 800

so yes...I randomly grabbed these two images which are definitely not shot using the same exact settings. However there are other Fuji shots where I was using higher ISO, faster shutter and greater depth of field that are also not as sharp as the Canon shots.
    There's no reason why 1/125 at f/2.8 shouldn't be sharp though.

This was the first event I shot with the X-T2 and if possible I am happy to keep working with it to get better results.
    I'm very happy to hear that some of you think it is possible to get sharp results in this scenario using the Fuji.
    Please let me know what your suggestions are to maximize the camera in low lighting conditions to get the sharpest possible shot. Thank you.

11. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you! Glad to hear very sharp pictures are possible. I will hang in there :)

12. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Good question. How do I find out and why does it matter?

13. Woodlink

Woodlink Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What were your focus settings on the X-T2?

1. Focus mode: Continuous or single shot or manual

2. Was pre-AF enabled?

3. What focus zone were you using? Single, Zone, or Wide

4. Was face detection used?

Need to know these at a minimum.

cathy and David Schneider like this.
  14. Woodlink

Woodlink Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Because ES causes rolling shutter in moving subjects and soft focus.

But I am almost certain its your focus settings and not the type of shutter used.

15. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Was image stabilization on while you are using shutter speeds faster than 1/60th sec.?

cathy and Woodlink like this.
  16. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The questions posted by Woodlink are spot on.

Starting with number one, focus mode. You stated prefocusing, now you could auto focus or manual focus to obtain that, but a question I would add to those posted by Woodlink, is if you used auto focus to prefocus, did you then put it in manual focus to eliminate any possibility of focus hunting when you went to push the trigger?

I have both a 5D Mk III and a X-T1 and now a brand new X-T2, I found that the Canon and the X-T2 behave very differently in behaving as to not trying to refocus when I do not want it to, could be me however.

cathy likes this.
  17. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As to noise/grain and tone, can you go and setup a test photo shoot, both rigs one model or friend, same location, same lights, same ISO, WB, etc, (yes full size vs APS-C so lenses will not be the same, but perhaps zoom as to achieve similar final head Size?) And what the heck, include a color checker card in the shot.

I would not be the member to advise, kind of embarised myself once on color tonality issue in the past. But the posting of the resultant images would get the capable members to go, ohhh, the issue is, the solution is, or the quesrions we have are...

You may want to include images with a minimal (as in LR preset of zero) post processing as well as with your workflows final ready to publish post processing (hmm, perhaps this last sentence about posting examples with minimal PP is crap, opinions?)

18. cathy

cathy Member

-Return to Top-

Geez you're all making me work hard here :) By the time I'm done answering everyone's questions maybe I will know what I'm doing! That's the intention anyhow.
    When I said "prefocusing" what I meant is that I select a single focusing point (for example at the end of the runway.) Eventually the model stands in that spot and once her eye is in the focal point I previously selected I take the photo. I am in autofocus but not aware of the camera changing points or hunting on its own.
    Am I missing something?

19. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmm, so you are prefocussing on a predetermined spot and waiting for the subject to be at or near that spot and taking the shot. (And yes, you stayed so in Original post) I assume that this to avoid fighting with the camera to focus on the fly and perhaps miss the shot,. And I assume you are pressing that shutter down quickly without pausing mid way as to not have the camera re-evaluate exposure or focus. But is the camera doing that? Might want to go to manual focus.

Incidentally my first impression on the second image is camera shake, but 1/125 sec should eliminate that even at the long end of that lens, second thought is focus, on this little iPad screen nothing appears in focus, but that could be a jpeg process to web issue, I suspect a focus issue, not a resolution or contrast or sharpness issue.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  20. Woodlink

Woodlink Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There are soooooo many variables to rule out here.

Need specific answers to questions posed above:

Mechanical or electronic shutter?

What were all the focus settings? (See above)

Also: what NR settings were used and was Auto ISO used.