This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Dancing to the Bands

Discussion in 'General' started by Tara Elizabeth, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This last weekend I was the photographer for a local Country/Americana festival called Neck Fest at Sacramento institution the Torch Club. I knew that the bands would have people up dancing and had the idea to try out some long-exposure shots of the dancers on the floor in front of the bands in hopes of conveying the kinetic energy of the event. I used a table as the tripod (Also a large candle holder on the table to get a bit more height, I may get a tabletop tripod for future attempts of this type) and a JJC shutter release with my X-E1 and 18-55. Most are 1/sec exposures.

LE Dancers 1wmforum.jpg

I attempted a variety of exposure lengths. In hopes of having more blur and being able to see the band better I tried a longer 2 sec exposure here. I liked it some, but didn't like how bright the background was whereas the 1/sec ones retained the lighting of the venue.

LE Dancers 2wmforum.jpg

LE Dancers 3wmforum.jpg

LE Dancers 4wmforum.jpg

I like how the beer glass in the foreground of this one has my reflection in it.

LE Dancers 5wmforum.jpg

Illumidata, magmouse, trainer and 3 others like this.
  2. FrankBB

FrankBB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That worked out really well. Very creative. I agree that the darker ones look better, and convey more what I would have expected it to look like in terms of light levels. I always like to see when people experiment and try something new like this.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  3. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well done. Outside the box.

4. magmouse

magmouse Premium Member

-Return to Top-

These are great - especially the ones where you can just make out the interactions between the dancers. I think I like the third one best, for this reason. As others have noted, the darker ones are more convincing in terms of the light.

5. macroenie

macroenie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think slow shutter and rear curtain flash could have been something else you could have tried.
    The transparant people are not my taste but if it works for you then you achieved your goal.

6. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Most of the night I was using my Yongnuo flash set to Rear Curtain and shooting around 1/80 so I have plenty of shots of that type as well.
    The ghostly people were definitely my intent, but I didn't figure it would be to everyone's taste which is why I did a lot of other shots of different styles throughout the night to cover all my bases.

macroenie likes this.