This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brand-new XT-2. Something loose inside?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by dream3, Feb 24, 2017.

1. dream3

dream3 Member

-Return to Top-

Folks, I'm worried about my beautiful brand-new xt-2.

Just bought it at Amazon.ca and as soon as I opened it, when inspecting and admiring the body, I couldnt help noticing this weird movement and sound coming from the inside.

When I move the body screen up and down, I can feel something moving slightly and it does a very subtle clunky sound. I thought it was from the articulating screen but it still happens even if I move the camera while holding down the screen.
    With or without the lens (23mm 2/f), results are the same.

Did some research and 6 months ago people were wondering about that too. A consensus did not seem to have been reached as there were always other folks adamantly stating they did not experience the same "issue".

Since so much time has passed and my camera is obviously from a new batch, I was wondering if it is really by design or I gotta a lemon that needs to go back!

Please help.

2. Isaac Hilman

Isaac Hilman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

It may be worth a call to your country's Fuji service center. I just shook my XT-2 around a bunch, with the battery - without the battery - not holding the screen, but I can't hear any clunking sounds. If anything, Fuji should be able to give you more information. Their service centers are usually super fast to respond too! I called in and was patched to a service person immediately minute.

3. dream3

dream3 Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks! Mind repeating the tests but this time more slowly, not in a shaky way bit rather calmly shifting it from side to side, rotating and up and down?

Keep in mind it is sutile in terms of both vibration and sound.

It actually goes away if you shake it hard, just tested with mine.

4. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I can't hear anything - even moving mine slowly. Remember there is something in the camera that detects orientation. If you turn the camera through 90 degrees for example the viewfinder will change so the exposure information etc is still readable. Could it be that?

5. bobframe

bobframe Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I'd be on the phone to Fuji service.

6. liggy

liggy Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Mine is silent in all orientations. I'm sure you know that some of the Fuji lenses will clunk around when not turned off but I see you noticed the sound with and without a lens.

Sorry!

simon_gregory likes this.
  7. Filenest

Filenest Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's electronics, not mechanical detection. So aka no sound should come from that orientation.

8. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

Mine is quiet. I hear movement from the kit lens when not in use. Probably the OIS though.

9. dream3

dream3 Member

-Return to Top-

Guys are you 100% sure nothing moves? It is really subtle. Try moving it a few inches back and forth in a continuos movement. You should feel something subtly loose inside, it does a very damping and low sound along with a clunky vibration.
    It's not about shaking it or doing it violently. Keep your hand/arm steady.

It's really on the body only, nothing to do with lenses.

10. chachi

chachi New Member

-Return to Top-

Dead silent on mine

11. pharyngealized

pharyngealized Active Member

-Return to Top-

I know for sure that subtle knocking was in all xt1 cameras. My X-T2 has it as well but not as pronounced. I checked the camera bodies in the store, they all have it.

12. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Until I read this I hadn't noticed that mine knocks as well.:(

13. vladand

vladand Member

-Return to Top-

Both my X-T1 and X-T2 have this. It is easiest to feel if you take the lens off and then gently shake the camera forward/backward (toward the lens mount/toward the screen).

It might just be the ribbon cables inside. Most cameras usually have long ribbon cable runs with corners, which are frequently not secured by sticky tape.

None of my cameras have ever been dropped, so that is probably just normal. Until this post I did not bother checking and I was not even aware of this knocking, but it can be quite easily detected if you are looking for it.

14. interlopr

interlopr New Member

-Return to Top-

I just picked up a Fuji X-T2, Got home, took it out of the box and the very first thing I noticed was the clunk. Immediately packed it back into the box, took it back to the shop and exchanged it for another.

Got back home and the second one does it as well! So i'm just going to deal with it. I even tested the one at the shop and it had a really bad clunk.

I dare say it is luck of the draw. There was another customer there with a XT-2 and his did not do it at all.. Of the two I bought and the one in the shop all three did it.

15. xanadu

xanadu Member

-Return to Top-

I detect a faint clunk with mine, new as of last week.

It's interesting what you learn on the internet. It's faint enough that I don't think I would have ever noticed. The camera behaves just fine.

I think maybe Fuji should head things off and put a sticker on these X-T2 cams or inform the dealers that a faint noise is normal. Otherwise, there could be a raft of returns for no reason.

In a former life, in the computer industry, some IBM laptop hard drives had a sticker that said a rattling was normal. If there were no sticker, I would have immediately suspected a problem with the drive and rejected it--a loose component is not something you want inside of one.